Sunday, September 6, 2015

He knows he has autism.

Today my son was telling me a story about a boy who has autism.  I asked him if he knew what autism was and he said, "it is a very bad disease that causes problems with peoples brains".  I told him that it is not a disease, but a disorder. And it is only as bad as you let it be.  In other words, there are things and even medicines to help manage the problems that the disorder may cause.  He continued to describe the boy as someone who was very sensitive.  He was saying that the boy acted "really upset for no reason".  I told my son there are triggers, and motioned like I was poking at something.  I explained that sometimes people get triggered or poked by something, and then they feel and react the way they do.  Your emotions and feelings just get the best of you sometimes.  And the best thing to do is understand when you are triggered.  We talked about how he got upset earlier in the day.  Then he asked me if he had autism.  I told him the truth...

No comments:

Post a Comment