Sunday, October 6, 2013

Strategic Planning in Millburn Township Public Schools/ Professional Development

The first day I dropped my son off at kindergarten the red flags went up.  I realized his regular education teacher received little to no training from the school prior to my son's entrance to her class concerning his disorder. While it is not mandated that the regular education teacher received this type of training, it seemed like a missed opportunity (especially for my son). Since the teacher said she knew not much about his disorder, I have made it a mission to figure out a positive way to help support the teacher's who help my son.  Along with donating a small library of special education books housed in the school, I have gotten involved with the school districts strategic planning process.  I helped with gathering the data and research, the planning, and now we are up to the action.  The following article from the patch is a snap shot of where this process is in it's implementation.  I think one of the most valuable parts is that the district has created a "hub" ("Millburn University") where teachers can access and share professional development opportunities.  I am happy and proud to be a part of this process.  See the following article from the local Alternative Press:
Millburn School Officials, Residents Begin Implementing Strategic Plan Process

No comments:

Post a Comment